Tuesday 12 March 2013

My attempt at a doily bowl

So, it is actually working! I was getting a bit stressed about what my next blog post would be (as I have spent most of my time cleaning baby sick off me, the floor and various bits of furniture) and then I remembered, that's why I am doing this, to force me to do things I do really enjoy doing but never seem to have the time. So, today I made my take on the doily bowl adapted from here. When I say adapted, I mean make a slightly rough around the edges version with the supplies I had available to me at home without having to go anywhere special to buy any of it. So, here is how it went...

The things you need to make this are:

  • Some kind of clay type product - I used a fimo type clay - I would probably try to find a sturdier material next time
  • A doily - I used a family heirloom (sorry mum) but paper doilies would be fine and may well work better
  • A rolling pin
  • 2 different sized bowls
  • A knife
  • An oven
  • Nail file or sandpaper - I used a nail file as that's all I had but I think sandpaper would be better

Roll out the clay until it is bigger than the size of the small bowl. Do this on a clean flat surface as clay will pick up sorts of debris (crumbs in my case).


Put your doily over the clay and press down to secure it. Then take your rolling pin and press down quite hard as you roll over the doily and the clay so you get the desired effect. This was mine..

..after about 3 attempts


Then put the small bowl over the top and cut away any excess clay (hence why you need to roll it out so that it's bigger than the small bowl)


Put inside the larger bowl - make sure the edges of your clay do still curl up as you're going to bake this. Put it in the oven and bake for around 30 mins


This is mine before I took a nail file to the edges.




..and voila - a little more nail filing is probably required but I think I'll get Mr Kitch to find me some sandpaper later and I'll give it another go. I love this, it was simple and quick to make and is totally individual. I used white and haven't treated it but it would look lovely with some sort of varnish on it or in different colours. My gold casio is my favourite thing too so I included it in my picture. So pleased I have started writing this as I probably would have sat down with a brew and indulged in my guilty pleasure - fashion police (shhhh) but instead I made something lovely. Give it a go!

LK x

Soundtrack: Air - Le soleil est près de moi

No comments:

Post a Comment