Wednesday 20 March 2013

Where's my waist?

This post is probably a good one to write at the start of my adventures in blogging as nobody I know, other than Mr Kitch, has any idea I write this. If they did I might get some pregnancy/baby/motherhood evangelists telling me off.

I have always been quite an active person and have always been conscious of my weight but have never really had to set my mind and body to losing it...and a lot of it at that. With that in mind, one of the challenges I have set myself recently is to get back in shape after having a baby last year. I thought that being active during pregnancy (walking to work and back and swimming at least 3 times a week) would set me on the right path and getting back into shape would just happen by virtue of being an active and healthy person....NOT SO PEOPLE! (Well, I say healthy but I did develop a taste for chocolate flavoured milk and Tunnock's tea cakes from about week 4 until about week 38). Putting on 4 1/2 stone was easy enough, losing it has been one of the biggest physical challenges I have ever faced.

My 'journey' to getting my body back has been an 7 month slog so far. I started running when my son was 4 weeks old so that marked the beginning of the ordeal for me. After my first run (well, walk/run) a well meaning neighbour said to me "oh you're not one of those mums are you? Trying to get back into shape" well, um, yes I am actually and it is really bloody difficult. The thing is, I totally agree that no pressure should ever be put on women to lose weight after pregnancy but I just know that I will not be happy if my copious ass does not get itself moving and I do not want to slip into being comfortable with elasticated waists!!

So my programme of 'study' consists of yoga, Jillian Michaels (OH.MY.GOD), swimming and running and walking. I have started doing the fantastic parkrun on a Saturday morning with my buggy, which I recommend to anyone who would like to start running in the UK as I think it happens all over the country..oh and in Denmark! (and nobody laughs at me for being rubbish - they do clap though, which is almost as bad).

I think the main thing I have realised is that results take work and a lot of it, not just with my quest to find my waist again but with anything we set our minds to. I like that.





LKx


Soundtrack: The Killers - Mr Brightside

No comments:

Post a Comment